EON healthy eating
Linking the growing of fruit, vegetables and bush tucker to a healthy, affordable and achievable lifestyle is the role of the EON healthy eating program, which is delivered to school children and adults in remote Indigenous communities in Western Australia.
The program's objectives are:
- to complement the growing of edible gardens
- to teach school children lifelong cooking and nutrition skills to assist them make healthy eating choices
- promote strong, healthy eating messages to children
- increase participants' fruit and vegetable consumption
- reduce rates of nutrition-linked disease, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
The project teaches:
- healthy lifestyle choices
- food hygiene
- nutrition education
- food preparation skills
- how to prepare simple, nutritious and affordable meals.
The EON healthy eating program is a component of the EON thriving communities program which also includes:
- EON edible gardens
- EON healthy homes
- EON training and education.
Abstract adapted from Edge of Nowhere Foundation
EON Foundation Inc.
PO Box 1100
West Perth WA 6872
Ph: (08) 6313 5700