- » Key resources and services
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
The Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS) provides free legal advice and representation for the Koorie community in Victoria. Services provided by VALS include:
- information, initial legal advice, minor assistance and referral
- duty lawyer assistance
- legal casework services including representation and assistance, covering criminal law, civil law and family law matters.
VALS gives priority to applicants whose circumstances fall into one or more of the priority categories, which are:
- where the person may be detained in custody
- where there is a real risk to the person's physical safety
- where cultural or personal wellbeing is at risk
- where a family member of a person who died in custody seeks representation at an inquiry into the death (unless other appropriate assistance is readily available)
- where the client would be significantly disadvantaged if assistance is not provided.
VALS has offices in the following locations:
- Swan Hill.
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service abstract
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Services
Ph: (03) 9418 5999
Freecall: 1800 064 865
Report broken link