Youth in communities program
Run by the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA), the Youth in communities program is aimed at Indigenous young people in the Northern Territory. The program's objectives are to deliver a comprehensive youth strategy that:
- provides an effective diversion for young Indigenous people from at risk behaviours
- improves life choices and outcomes for young Indigenous people, through engaging them in positive activities that promote pathways to better health and wellbeing, community capacity building and participation in school, work and social networks
- strengthens and improves the youth services infrastructure, both in the number of youth workers employed and the facilities available for providing youth services and activities.
Funding under the Youth in communities program will benefit Indigenous youth, 10 to 20 years of age. Participant priorities are youth at risk of:
- using illicit drugs, alcohol, petrol, volatile substances or other substances
- suicide or intentional self harm
- entering or re-entering the criminal justice system.
Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
PO Box 7576
Canberra Business Centre ACT 2610
Ph: 1300 653 227