- » Key resources and services
Suicide prevention in Aboriginal communities
This workshop is presented by Dr Tracy Westerman, a descendant of the Nyamal people. She holds a Post Graduate Diploma (Science) in Psychology, a Master's Degree (Clinical Psychology) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Clinical Psychology). As a recognised leader in the Aboriginal mental health field she has achieved both national and international recognition.
The workshop will cover the following:
- the nature of Aboriginal suicide
- depression - its cultural manifestation and relationship with Aboriginal suicide
- effective engagement with suicidal Aboriginal clients
- determining and discussing suicide intent
- translating cultural differences into suicide risk assessment
- postvention - what can be done after a suicide attempt or death in a community
- Indigenous Psychological Services' success in the development, delivery, and evaluation of whole of community
suicide intervention programs - an effective community intervention model
- accreditation in the Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - youth aged 13-17 (WASC-Y) and the Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - adult (WASC-A).
Dates and locations:
- Darwin - 27 & 28 June 2013
- Karratha - 15 & 16 August 2013
- Cairns - 3 & 4 October 2013.
Indigenous Psychological Services
Ph: (08) 9362 2036
Fax: (08) 9362 5546