- » Key resources and services
by Western Australian Department of Health
||Health Networks, Western Australian Department of Health
This resource offers information on best practice care for those at risk of, or diagnosed with asthma across the continuum of care. The focus is on optimal pathways of care and the management of long-term conditions through self-management, disease and case management for people in metropolitan and rural Western Australia. The model builds on the knowledge and capacity underpinning current services for people with asthma and evidence-based best practice as documented in the Western Australian chronic respiratory disease service improvement framework (CSIF) of November 2005.
The CSIF approach has been endorsed by health networks and sets out the following ten standards, each relating to a stage in the disease continuum:
- reducing the risk of asthma
- early diagnosis of asthma
- asthma self-management
- assessing asthma severity
- preventing acute exacerbation of asthma
- stabilising chronic asthma
- management of the acute episode in the emergency department
- management of the transition of care/discharge planning
- paediatric asthma management
- asthma education.
Adapted from West Australian Department of Health