Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Share by Email

Skip to content

Key resources

  • Bibliography
  • Health promotion
    Health promotion
  • Health practice
    Health practice
  • Yarning places
    Yarning places
  • Programs
  • Organisations
  • Conferences
  • Courses
  • Funding
  • Jobs
Australian Indigenous HealthBulletin

Murray Valley encephalitis found in WA chickens

Date posted: 17 January 2012

The WA Health Department says a potentially fatal mosquito-borne disease has been found in East Kimberley chicken flocks.

Murray Valley encephalitis, which is spread to humans via infected mosquitoes, can cause serious brain swelling and even death.

A series of tests on the department's sentinel chickens has identified several cases in Wyndham and Kununurra.

Acting medical entomologist Peter Neville says residents need not panic but should take precautions.

'Primarily try to avoid outdoor exposure around dawn and dusk, wearing protective clothing including long-sleeved clothing outdoors and also applying a personal repellent,' he said.

Source: ABC news


Last updated: 17 January 2012
Return to top