What are the targets?
The COAG targets, developed by experts in the various areas covered by the CTG strategy, in the National Indigenous reform agreement are :
- To close the life expectancy gap within a generation;
- To halve the gap in mortality rates for Indigenous children under five within a decade;
- To ensure access to early childhood education for all Indigenous four year olds in remote communities within five years;
- To halve the gap in reading, writing and numeracy achievements for children within a decade;
- To halve the gap for Indigenous students in year 12 attainment rates by 2020; and
- To halve the gap in employment outcomes between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians within a decade.
In addressing these targets, COAG has committed $4.6 billion over four years across early childhood development, health, housing, economic participation and remote service delivery, and has achieved a number of supportive commitments by the corporate and community sectors. Agreement has also been reached on the establishment of a new national Indigenous representative body, to be known as the National Congress of Australia's First Peoples.
© 2001-2013 Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet