Boswell S, Cadet-James Y (2013)
Understanding the perceptions and needs of staff regarding cultural competence in the care of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in maternity care at the Townsville Hospital.
Women and Birth; 26(1): S1
Kelly J, West R, Gamble J, Sidebotham M, Carson V, Duffy E (2013)
Exploring the experiences of Indigenous women and Indigenous students who participated in a ‘follow through' journey within a Bachelor of Midwifery Program.
Women and Birth; 26(1): S10
Mental Health and Drug and Alcohol Office (2013)
Clinical guidelines for nursing and midwifery practice in NSW: identifying and responding to drug and alcohol issues.
Sydney: NSW Department of Health
These guidelines provide nurses and midwives in New South Wales with support and a benchmark for alcohol and other drug use assessment and care in daily practice including:
- an outline of general principles for alcohol and drug assessment, intervention, communication with patients, and managing intoxication, overdose and withdrawal
- specific information on commonly used substances, with details of symptoms, management and risks
- information on pharmacotherapies for dependence on alcohol and opioids
- appendices that provide withdrawal assessment scales and other useful information
- handouts on selected drugs that you can photocopy and give to your patients
- a glossary that describes terms related to alcohol and other drug issues
- a resources list of tools, literature, organisations, emergency numbers and useful websites.
These guidelines are accompanied by a supporting Policy directive: nursing management of drug and alcohol issues in the delivery of health care.
Abstract adapted from NSW Department of Health
Strain T (2013)
Midwives knowledge of perinatal care to Australian Indigenous women.
Women and Birth; 26(1): S19
Payne J, France K, Henley N, D'Antoine H, Bartu A, O'Leary C, Elliott E, Bower C (2011)
Changes in health professionals' knowledge, attitudes and practice following provision of educational resources about prevention of prenatal alcohol exposure and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology; 25(4): 316-327
Payne JM, France KE, Henley N, D'Antoine HA, Bartu AE, Mutch RC, Elliott EJ, Bower C (2011)
Paediatricians' knowledge, attitudes and practice following provision of educational resources about prevention of prenatal alcohol exposure and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health; 47(10): 704-710
Belton S, Campbell M, Foxley S, Hamerton B, Gladman J, McGrath S, Piller N, Saunders N, Vaughan F (2010)
Evaluating the long-term effectiveness of the Maternity Emergency Care course in remote Australia.
Women and Birth; 23(2): 60-66
© 2001-2014 Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet