Dockery AM (2013)
Cultural dimensions of Indigenous participation in vocational education and training: new perspectives.
Adelaide: National Centre for Vocational Education Research
Mazumdar S, Konings P, Butler D, McRae IS (2013)
General practitioner (family physician) workforce in Australia: comparing geographic data from surveys, a mailing list and medicare.
BMC Health Services Research; 13: 343
Retrieved 3 September 2013 from http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-13-343
Hunter New England Health Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategic Leadership Committee (2012)
Closing the gap in a regional health service in NSW: a multistrategic approach to addressing individual and institutional racism.
New South Wales Public Health Bulletin; 23(4): 63-67
Indigenous Allied Health Australia (2012)
What does allied health mean within the context of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health? Discussion paper.
Canberra: Indigenous Allied Health Australia
McRae-Williams E (2012)
My success: an exploratory study of positive experiences in the working-lives of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
people in Darwin.
Batchelor, NT: Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Territory Education
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (2012)
An introduction to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health cultural protocols and perspectives.
Melbourne: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
This document for general practitioners and other health professionals provides a guide to appropriate and respectful ways of interacting with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. It was written by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) for College members and staff. It gives background information and guidance on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives, along with an understanding of important protocols and other relevant cultural issues. Topics covered by the guide include:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, and why it matters
- core principles for working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- protocols for culturally respectful engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- culturally appropriate communication
- consulting with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- conducting meetings with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations and groups
- use of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander intellectual and cultural property
- event planning: observation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural protocol
- undertaking projects and research.
The guide emphasises that general practitioners should seek local cultural training to supplement their learning.
Abstract adapted from Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
Martin ME, Reath JS (2011)
General practice training in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
Medical Journal of Australia; 194(11): S67-S70
Garvey G, Rolfe IE, Pearson S-A, Treloar C (2009)
Indigenous Australian medical students' perceptions of their medical school training.
Medical Education; 43(11): 1047-1055
© 2001-2013 Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet