Indigenous: States and Territories
- » Protective & risk factors
- » Volatile substance use (including petrol sniffing)
- » Policies and strategies
- » Indigenous: States and Territories
Cape York Institute for Policy and Leadership (2007)
From hand out to hand up: Cape York welfare reform project: design recommendations.
Cairns, QLD: Cape York Institute for Policy and Leadership
This report discusses the Cape York welfare reform project which aims to develop reformed incentives and appropriate supports at the community level to help with the restoration of social norms. The core principles of the project are:
- all welfare should be conditional
- further government investment in capability building is needed
- incentives need to be fundamentally changed to encourage people.
Once the policies recommended by the Institute are supported, the project will initially be trialled in four communities on the Cape York Peninsula. If the trial is successful, the policy principles may be used to inform policy across the Cape York Peninsula and potentially other regions.
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract
© 2001-2015 Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet