About this web resource
- » States and Territories
- » Western Australia
- » About this web resource
The need for better information and resources
The need for information specific to the States and Territories - and to regions within them - has been a frequent request from users of the HealthInfoNet. However, resources have prevented the HealthInfoNet from addressing this need.
In response to Western Australian users of the HealthInfoNet, the Aboriginal Health Division within the WA Department of Health has provided separate funds for the development and maintenance of a section within the HealthInfoNet specific to Indigenous health in that State.
The structure of the section is based broadly on those used for other new sections on the HealthInfoNet. This structure provides for the sharing of knowledge and information through the following ways:
- Knowledge transfer/utilisation - knowledge synthesised by the HealthInfoNet is made accessible on the Internet to assist the process of translating research into practice. The focus is on providing relevant knowledge to the range of people involved and/or interested in Indigenous health - including policy makers, health service providers, program managers, clinicians, Indigenous health workers and other health professionals, researchers, academics and other teachers, students, and the general community;
- Clearinghouse functions - materials of relevance to Indigenous health are identified, collected and this information is then disseminated via the Internet. These functions include dissemination of information about relevant publications of all types (such as journal articles, reports, books, book chapters, and theses) and materials (such as health promotional resources);
- Features - electronic support of this web resource is facilitated through our e-message stick, and is complemented with information about key contacts, relevant news and events, training and grant opportunities, and provision of the capacity to share information.
- WA Indigenous health promotion knowledge (WAIHPN) - this network supports a yarning place that provides electronic services to encourage information sharing and collaboration among the range of people involved in addressing Indigenous health promotion in WA.
Within this broad structure, specific aspects have been adapted and/or developed in consultation with staff of the Aboriginal Health Division.
Currently the section does not include much information at a regional level within WA, but it is hoped that this aspect is developed over time.
Content of the WA state web resource
New information and materials relevant to WA State among Indigenous peoples are added to this web resource progressively. It currently includes:
Development of the resource
With the support and generosity of the Aboriginal Health Division within the WA Department of Health, the HealthInfoNet is able to continue to develop and maintain this section.