- » Key resources and services
- » Health promotion resources
- » Clinical guidelines for nursing and midwifery practice in NSW: identifying and responding to drug and alcohol issues
Mental Health and Drug and Alcohol Office
NSW Department of Health
These guidelines provide nurses and midwives in New South Wales with support and a benchmark for alcohol and other drug use assessment and care in daily practice including:
- an outline of general principles for alcohol and drug assessment, intervention, communication with patients, and managing intoxication, overdose and withdrawal
- specific information on commonly used substances, with details of symptoms, management and risks
- information on pharmacotherapies for dependence on alcohol and opioids
- appendices that provide withdrawal assessment scales and other useful information
- handouts on selected drugs that you can photocopy and give to your patients
- a glossary that describes terms related to alcohol and other drug issues
- a resources list of tools, literature, organisations, emergency numbers and useful websites.
These guidelines are accompanied by a supporting Policy directive: nursing management of drug and alcohol issues in the delivery of health care.
Abstract adapted from NSW Department of Health