- » Key resources and services
National Diabetes Services Scheme
This eight page booklet was developed by the Diabetes and Driving Working Party on behalf of the Australian Diabetes Society through funding under the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS).
It aims to provide information for people with diabetes on the precautions to be taken to ensure safe driving.
A check list has been provided to assist with this:
- check blood glucose level before driving and ensure the reading is above five mmol/L
- carry fast acting carbohydrates
- carry a glucose meter to check blood glucose every two hours whilst driving and ensure the reading is above five mmol/L
- attend regular health checks including eye and feet health checks
- check the driver does not suffer from episodes of daytime drowsiness or untreated sleep apnoea
- carry identification stating the driver has diabetes and advise driving license authority.
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract
Ph: 1300 136 588