- » Key resources and services
- » Health promotion resources
- » Presentation to the Victorian Bar Association on Indigenous hearing loss and the criminal justice system
This video recording provides advice for those working within the criminal justice system for improving communication with people who have hearing loss or other listening problems. Dr Damien Howard's presentation to the Victorian Bar explains how hearing loss impacts on justice and offender rehabilitation.
Key aspects of improving communication include:
- preparing people for the criminal justice process
- allowing people to tell the story in their own way
- informing people of topic changes
- watching for facial and body language cues to misunderstanding
- avoiding jargon and technical terms
- using amplification devices, as appropriate
- avoiding judgements of intelligence and honesty on the basis of speaking capacity.
The video has also been converted into audio only and is available from the link below.
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract
Dr Damien Howard
PO Box 793
Nightcliff NT 0814
Ph: (08) 8948 4444
Fax: (08) 8948 3838
Report broken link