- » Key resources and services
West Leederville, WA
The Taste bubs strong babies solid start resource kit was developed by Meerilinga in consultation with groups of Aboriginal parents and carers from various regions across Western Australia. The kit incorporates culturally appropriate wording and messages for all parents of young babies about to transition from breastmilk or formula to solids.
The kit consists of a:
- facilitator manual - a step-by-step guide to running an introducing solids session
- background manual - more information on the topics which are covered in the facilitator manual and flipchart
- A2 flipchart - is mostly pictorial and is a visual representation of the powerpoint presentation
- powerpoint presentation - the slides focus on key phrases
- DVD - shows Aboriginal children of different ages and stages along the eating journey. It is designed to enhance the parents' learning by seeing real life signs of readiness, first reactions, feeding skills development and sensitive parenting after these ideas have been introduced through flipchart and discussion
- parent handout and fact sheets - a summary of the key information for parents around suitable drinks for babies and children, breastfeeding and the range of textures.
The resource kit was funded by the Department of Health, and was originally designed for use by child health nurses located across Western Australia.
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract
PO Box 1177
West Leederville WA 6901
Ph: (08) 9489 4022
Fax: (08) 9489 4044
Report broken link