- » Key resources and services
- » Health promotion resources
- » Closing the Gap: Indigenous chronic disease package information for general practice, Aboriginal community controlled health services and Indigenous health services
Department of Health and Ageing
Department of Health and Ageing Australia
The Australian Government's Indigenous chronic disease package (ICDP) supports general practices and Indigenous health services to:
- Develop and implement systems to identify Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander patients and encourage regular health checks.
- Receive additional payments through the Practice Incentives Program (PIP) Indigenous health incentive.
- Prescribe more affordable Pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS) medicines for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander patients through the PBS co-payment measure.
- Develop a team approach to care by accessing training for practice nurses and Aboriginal Health Workers in the Chronic disease self-management program.
- Ensure Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander patients with a chronic disease are able to access specialists and allied health professionals consistent with their care plan through the Care coordination and supplementary services program.
- Refer Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander patients with, or at risk of chronic disease to regionally-based, and culturally appropriate, supports - such as tobacco action workers and healthy lifestyle workers.
Abstract derived from Department of Health and Ageing
Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health (OATSIH)
Closing the Gap: Indigenous Chronic Disease Package
GPO Box 9848
Woden ACT 2601