- » Key resources and services
Youth in Communities Program
The Youth in Communities Program aimed to deliver a comprehensive strategy for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in the Northern Territory. The objectives of the strategy were to:
- provide an effective diversion for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from at-risk behaviours
- improve life choices and outcomes for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, through engaging them in positive activities that promote pathways to better health and wellbeing, community capacity building and participation in school, work and social networks
- strengthen and improve the services infrastructure, both in the number of youth workers employed and the facilities available for providing youth services and activities.
Funding was provided by the Department of Social Services (formerly FaHCSIA) and benefited Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people, 10 to 20 years. Participant priorities were young people at risk of:
- using illicit drugs, alcohol, petrol, volatile substances or other drugs
- suicide or intentional self harm
- entering or re-entering the criminal justice system.
Organisations were funded under this program until June 2014.
Abstract adapted from the former Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
Department of Social Services
Tuggeranong Office Park
Soward Way (cnr Athllon Drive)
Greenway ACT 2900
GPO Box 9820
Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: 1300 653 227
Department of Families Housing Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (2012)
Final evaluation of youth in communities for the department of families, housing, community services and Indigenous affairs: final report.
Canberra: Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
Report broken link