- » Key resources and services
- » Programs and projects
- » Developing a sustainable community-based response to asbestos-related disease in Aboriginal communities
Developing a sustainable community-based response to asbestos-related disease in Aboriginal communities
This project conducted by the National Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases investigated Aboriginal communities where asbestos mining took place, and the burden of asbestos-related diseases for its people. The project supported two Aboriginal community-controlled health care services and aimed to:
- estimate the number of people affected by asbestos related diseases
- discover the best way to diagnose and manage lung and asbestos related diseases and prevent the complications which may occur
- generate support for those individuals, families and communities affected by these diseases.
Abstract adapted from Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research Inc.
Associate Professor Richard Murray
James Cook University
Ph: (07) 4781 5338