- » Key resources and services
Home safe home
The Home safe home program is concerned with the issue of safety in the home, for Aboriginal people in the Greater Western Sydney region in NSW. It operates under the Blacktown Aboriginal safety promotion program. The Home safe home program is described as a 'safe home auditing' program which is similar to the Housing for health program run by Healthabitat (see program and projects section on this page for further information).
The program involves:
- inspecting the infrastructure of houses
- informing Housing NSW (the provider) of any infrastructure problems needing repair or maintenance work (e.g., plumbing, gas, electricity, walls)
- providing education to the tenants on how to keep a home safe
- providing a basic toolkit (torch, duct tape, child safety locks) and showing the tenant how to use the items for basic repairs
The program takes a holistic approach to home safety, it has developed slowly over time and takes into consideration the individual needs of the householders it is assisting.
Locked mail bag 7118
Parramatta NSW 2150
Ph: (02) 9840 3603
Bryan-Clothier W (2007)
Blacktown Aboriginal safety promotion program - Home Safe Home project stream.
Paper presented at the 6th National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Environmental Health Conference. 22-23 May 2007, Cairns
Blacktown Aboriginal Safety Promotion Program (2008)
Blacktown Aboriginal Safety Promotion Program: engaging and strengthening the Blacktown Aboriginal community through injury prevention and safety promotion.
intouch; 25(3): 7-8
Report broken link