- » Key resources and services
Diabetes Australia Vic Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander program
The Diabetes Australia Vic Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander program aims to raise the profile of Diabetes Australia Vic in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities by:
- consulting and collaborating with peak Aboriginal organisations and communities
- supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers training in diabetes
- working to improve health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians
- developing culturally appropriate and specific Koori diabetes resources
- supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers in the prevention of type 2 diabetes and management of diabetes.
Through the program Diabetes Australia Vic continue to consult and develop links with Aboriginal communities and have:
- developed a Aboriginal Health Worker and Health Professional diabetes manual
- developed a Grapevine newsletter to keep health professionals and Koori diabetes networks up to date on diabetes information
- assessed the regional needs of Aboriginal Health Workers and Aboriginal communities.
Future developments include:
- development of culturally appropriate diabetes resources
- a Koori diabetes resources kit
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness training for staff.
Abstract adapted from Diabetes Australia Vic
Diabetes Australia Vic
570 Elizabeth Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Customer Service: 1300 136 588
Direct Business Calls: (03) 9667 1777
Fax: (03) 9667 1778