NT Indigenous dementia project
The NT Indigenous dementia project identified a number of strategies to better promote an understanding of dementia among Indigenous communities and to improve service delivery. It highlighted the many barriers that need to be overcome if dementia is to be given a higher priority among the many health issues pressing upon Indigenous communities. It also identified a number of unmet needs, service gaps, and issues for Indigenous peoples living with dementia, their families and carers in the NT, including:
- the need for better diagnosis, assessment, early intervention, treatment and management of dementia, including the need to create an appropriate assessment tool;
- the lack of respite and residential care options;
- the need for more education, training and information regarding Indigenous dementia;
- the need for more services and information for carers; and
- the lack of flexibility regarding services and infrastructure.
Alzheimer's Australia NT (2002)
Indigenous dementia project report.
Nightcliff, NT: Alzheimer's Australia NT