Koori growing old well study
The Koori growing old well study, also known as What is the burden of dementia in urban dwelling Indigenous Australians?, is based at the Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute in NSW and focuses on dementia among Indigenous people in NSW. This project aims to provide information which is currently missing regarding dementia among urban Indigenous Australians.
Specifically, research focuses on the following questions:
- what proportion of Indigenous people have dementia?
- what types of dementia occur among Indigenous people?
- how is cognitive impairment (which leads to dementia) best measured in Indigenous communities? How is dementia best measured in Indigenous communities?
- what is the meaning of "dementia" for Indigenous people?
- what are the causes of dementia among Indigenous people?
- what are the causes related to social, economic and educational disadvantages?
- what problems does dementia cause for Indigenous people?
- how are Indigenous people with dementia cared for in the communities?
- what is the burden of dementia for the carers of Indigenous people?