- » Key resources and services
NT Rheumatic Heart Disease Control Program
Originally known as the Top End Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD) Program, the NT RHD Control Program commenced in 1997. It is a program area within the NT Department of Health's Centre for Disease Control (CDC) Unit.
RHD control programs:
- identify people with or at risk of acute rheumatic fever (ARF) and rheumatic heart disease (RHD) and include their details on ARF/RHD disease registers
- improve delivery of long-term secondary prevention treatment which helps prevent recurrent ARF and development or worsening of RHD
- support clinical and public health practice by increasing disease awareness and expertise among the health workforce, so that they can provide appropriate health services to people with ARF and RHD, including clinical care and follow up, in line with best practice
- provide advice on education and self-management support for people with ARF and RHD and their families, and the community
- promote primary prevention which focuses on preventing first episodes of ARF
- use information from the disease registers to monitor health outcomes, and produce epidemiological reports to help improve control program activities.
There are four State and Territory RHD control programs funded under the Australian Government's Rheumatic Fever Strategy: the NT, Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA) and Queensland. Each program has its own priorities and unique characteristics in terms of burden of disease, geography and service provision but the key roles are common. New South Wales (NSW) also has a RHD register which is an initiative of the NSW Government.
Abstract adapted from the Northern Territory Department of Health and RHDAustralia
Northern Territory Department of Health
Rheumatic Heart Disease Program
Centre for Disease Control
PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811
Top End Region
Phone: (08) 8922 8454
Fax: (08) 8922 8277
Central Australia Region
Phone: (08) 8951 6909
Fax: (08) 8951 7900
Fittock M, Edwards K (2012)
Rheumatic Heart Disease Control Program: overview for 2011.
Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin; 19(3): 19-20
Edwards K (2007)
Acute rheumatic fever/rheumatic heart disease program: an update.
Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin; 14(2): 26-28
Northern Territory Department of Health (2007)
Remote health atlas: rheumatic heart disease program.
Darwin: Department of Health, Northern Territory
Lowe M (2005)
New directions for the rheumatic heart disease program.
Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin; 12(3): 28
Eissa S, Lee R, Binns P, Garstone G, McDonald M (2005)
Assessment of a register-based rheumatic heart disease secondary prevention program in an Australian Aboriginal community.
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health; 29(6): 521-525
Kelly A (2003)
Top End Rheumatic Heart Disease Program: report to the Commonwealth: February – November 2002 (abbreviated).
Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin; 10(1): 9-11
Edwards K (2003)
Rheumatic Heart Disease Program: register, treatment guidelines and priority assessment.
Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin; 10(2): 13-15
Brown A, Purton L, Schaeffer G, Wheaton G, White A (2003)
Central Australian Rheumatic Heart Disease Control Program: a report to the Commonwealth November 2002.
Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin; 10(1): 1-8
Report broken link