- » Key resources and services
Kalgoorlie-Boulder palliative care coordination project
This project was funded as part of the National caring communities program and aimed to address the limited palliative care service options available to Indigenous people in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder area of Western Australia. This project involved co-ordination, education, raising cultural awareness, Indigenous liaison, and interpretation to support the development of an integrated and sustainable palliative care service. The program's goals were to:
- support the coordination of services for the patient, their family and carers
- develop partnerships between palliative care providers, other health service providers and service infrastructure to ensure palliative care services are accessible and integrated
- support the educational needs and collaboration of the palliative care and primary health workforce
- improve the knowledge and skills of families, carers and community groups so that they can better support family or community members who are terminally ill
- increase community and professional awareness of the role and benefits of palliative care.
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract
Silver Chain Nursing Association Inc.
Ph: (08) 9091 2363
Lenton S (2005)
Kalgoorlie-Boulder palliative care coordination project final report.
Perth, WA: Silver Chain Nursing Association