- » Key resources and services
This project aimed to improve the delivery of culturally appropriate palliative care to Aboriginal residents of two nursing homes in Alice Springs and Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory (NT). The project set out to:
- identify the three remote Aboriginal communities who used the two nursing homes
- consult members of the communities to find out levels of awareness of palliative care and palliative care needs
- develop an understanding of culturally sensitive practice that could be used as the basis for education for the staff in the nursing homes that provided services for these populations
- develop a formal education package about culturally-sensitive palliative care for nursing home staff.
The program's challenges and successes are outlined in a number of final reports. The project was funded as part of the National Caring Communities Program, and conducted by Frontier Services.
Nelson J (2005)
Territory care project final report executive summary.
Wollongong, NSW: Centre for Health Service Development - University of Wollongong
Report broken link