- » Key resources and services
Accessing palliative care in the Kimberley's remote Aboriginal communities
This project was funded as part of the National caring communities program and aimed to address the lack of access to palliative care services in the Kimberley region of north Western Australia (WA).
The project aimed to increase knowledge of palliative care services and establish a network enabling the provision of these services in remote Aboriginal communities. This program's specific goals included:
- building relationships between councils, Elders, community members, health workers and carers in remote Aboriginal communities, and the regional palliative care co-ordinator
- increasing awareness of the benefits of appropriate palliative care services
- developing local support systems for people who wish to die in their community
- developing partnerships between regional palliative care coordinators and other service providers, including Kimberley Aged Care Services, Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services, local medical services and community nurses
- enhancing understanding of palliative care in the acute and community sectors.
Abstract adapted from Care Search
Kimberley Palliative Care Service
Broome WA 6725
Ph: (08) 9194 2325
Mobile: 0434 181 044
Fax: (08) 9194 2282
Scott W (2006)
Accessing palliative care in the Kimberley's remote Aboriginal communities: executive summary.
Canberra: Kimberley Palliative Care Service
Report broken link