Developing linkages between an Indigenous population and a palliative care service
This program aimed to create sustainable links between the Indigenous population and palliative care services in the Wentworth Area Health Service (WAHS) through the involvement of an Indigenous Palliative Care Liaison Officer. This program's specific goals included:
- establishing and developing collaborative partnerships with people caring for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in WAHS;
- undertaking a needs analysis of Indigenous palliative care services;
- improving Indigenous people's access to mainstream palliative care services;
- providing culturally appropriate palliative care services to Indigenous people;
- providing education and cultural awareness training to staff caring for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; and
- providing information on palliative care services to Aboriginal Liaison Officers and Indigenous Health Workers.
Wentworth Area Health Service
Dr Michael Noel
Ph: (02) 4734 3500
Ph: (02) 4759 8700
Baird C, Harrison K, Luhr M, Noel M, Scott C (2006)
Developing linkages between an Aboriginal population and a palliative care service: final report executive summary.
Sydney: Wentworth Area Health Service