- » Key resources and services
Mensheds Australia (MSA) is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and resourcing men's sheds across Australia.
MSA supports men's sheds across the country to:
- provide support to men in need of help arising from mental illness or other debilitating illness
- ease the transition of men from full-time employment to other activities in retirement
- provide an additional link between the primary health network and the many men who have no regular contact with that network
- establish a place for men that enables social interaction and activities to maintain the health and wellbeing of those men
- build a culture in the sheds where all men are welcome and where mutual respect and trust are paramount
- become a focal point in the community for the identification of men's health issues and actions to resolve those issues.
Indigenous men's sheds are located throughout Australia. In November 2012 additional funding was provided by the Australian Government to 26 Indigenous men's sheds and groups, located in every mainland state and the Northern Territory.
Indigenous men's sheds in remote communities provide a safe, friendly, and inclusive environment where Indigenous males can connect with their elders and work on traditional and cultural activities.
Some examples of the support offered by Indigenous men's sheds include:
- traditional cultural art programs
- providing a place for Indigenous men to gather and learn new skills
- promoting 'connecting to country' projects
- funding youth camps that focus on the connection to elders and culture with bush walks, bush tucker, and yarning.
Abstract adapted from Mensheds Australia
PO Box 723
Baulkham Hills NSW 2154
Ph: 0457 888 387
Sergeant P (2008)
Mensheds Australia: a catalyst for Indigenous men's health.
The Chronicle; 11(6): 8-9