- » Key resources and services
Supporting better diabetes care in the centre clinical outreach service
The Supporting better diabetes care in the centre clinical outreach service aims to fill an area of unmet need in supporting diabetes care in Central Australia.
The project commenced in July 2010 and provides specialist diabetes healthcare in 11 remote Indigenous communities where the incidence of diabetes is very high.
The project also aims to:
- build and improve local health services
- provide ongoing training and professional support for people involved in diabetes healthcare provision
- provide a multidisciplinary diabetes healthcare team that includes diabetes nurse educators (DNEs), diabetes specialists and primary healthcare providers
- build trusting relationships with the local communities.
Specialists run diabetes clinics twice a year in accordance with diabetes best practice guidelines, and also provide education to health clinic staff on these occasions.
Abstract adapted from Baker IDI
Associate Professor Graeme Maguire
Baker IDI Central Australia
PO Box 1294
Alice Springs NT 0871
Ph: (08) 8959 0111
Fax: (08) 8952 1557
Report broken link