- » Key resources and services
Bronchiectasis Exacerbation Study Trial Part 1 and 2 (BEST)
The Bronchiectasis Exacerbation Study Trial (BEST) is being undertaken at five major hospitals around Australia, to provide more evidence as to whether antibiotics are necessary for all exacerbation caused by non-cystic fibrosis (CF) bronchiectasis. Bronchiectasis is recognised as a significant disorder which affects Indigenous and non-Indigenous children and adults living in urban and remote Australia. It is increasingly diagnosed in children and adults with difficult asthma and chronic cough. Effective management of bronchiectasis, particularly prevention of severe exacerbations, is associated with improved long term lung function.
The objectives of the study are:
- to run a large national, multi-centre, double blind, two-part, randomised controlled trial for children with non-CF bronchiectasis to determine:
- if azithromycin or amoxycillin-clavulanic acid compared to placebo, improve the resolution of respiratory exacerbations on day 14
- if daily azithromycin is non-inferior to amoxycillin-clavulanic in achieving resolution of respiratory exacerbations on day 21
- to determine the role of viruses and other respiratory pathogens in children with non-CF bronchiectasis in relation to exacerbations.
This study will add to the body of evidence regarding the use of antibiotics to prevent exacerbations caused by non-CF bronchiectasis. The study commenced in 2012 and is scheduled for completion in 2014 and is funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
Adapted from Menzies School of Health Research
Chang AB, Grimwood K, Robertson CF, Wilson AC, van Asperen PP, O’Grady KF, Sloots TP, Torzillo PJ, Bailey EJ, McCallum GB, Masters IB, Byrnes CB, Chatfield BD, Buntain HM, Mackay IM, Morris PS (2012)
Antibiotics for bronchiectasis exacerbations in children: rationale and study protocol for a randomised placebo-controlled trial.
Trials; 13: 156
Retrieved 31 August 2012 from http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-156
Chang AB, Grimwood K, Wilson AC, van Asperen PP, Byrnes CA, O’Grady KF, Sloots TP, Robertson CF, Torzillo PJ, B McCallum GB, Masters IB, Buntain HM, Mackay IM, Ungerer J, Tuppin J, Morris PS (2013)
Bronchiectasis exacerbation study on azithromycin and amoxycillin-clavulanate for respiratory exacerbations in children (BEST-2): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
Trials; 14: 53
Retrieved 20 February 2013 from http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-14-53
Report broken link