- » Key resources and services
Volatile Substance Misuse (VSM) Service
The Volatile Substance Misuse (VSM) initiative 'Place of safety' provides support and assistance to young people aged 12 to 17 years, who engage or are at risk of engaging in volatile substance use such as petrol and glue sniffing in the community of Mount Isa, Queensland. The service also aims to reduce the incidences and extent of harm associated with alcohol and/or cannabis and provides a range of interventions to address harm associated with volatile substances and other drugs among young people.
The VSM service provides five components of support while focusing service delivery towards early intervention, prevention and community engagement. Components include:
- coordinated team taking safety to young people targeting 'hot spots' of Mt Isa and assisting young people to prevent them engaging in volatile substance misuse
- diversionary activities
- sporting and recreational activities developed for positive community engagement of young people with the aim of deterring substance use and other risk taking behaviour
- casual clients 'drop in' service
- access to nutritional food, laundry/bathroom amenities, safe supervised space and opportunities to engage in recreational and leisure activities
- rest and recovery
- a safe, supervised environment for young people to recover from the effects of substance use while receiving medical health checks and the option of overnight stay.
- planned support
- offering coordinated approach to address issues behind young people's substance use including family support, assistance with accessing detox clinics, referrals to medical services, case management and access to other programs locally or regionally.
Abstract adapted from Young People Ahead (YPA)
11/13 Fourth Avenue
Parkside Qld 4825
Ph: (07) 4743 1000
Fax: (07) 4743 1030
Mount Isa Youth Shelter
Ph: (07) 4749 0840
Ph: 1800 614 544 (free call to all services)
Report broken link