- » Key resources and services
Breast success for Aboriginal women in Eastern Sydney
This program by the Cancer Institute NSW in conjunction with La Perouse Aboriginal community aimed to improve access to primary health care. The program was established due to many community members experiencing cancer and dying at early ages without prior detection. The program has expanded to include services for both men and women as follows:
- cancer awareness information in a culturally sensitive manner
- locally available screening and treatment services
- health promotion and awareness events relating to Aboriginal men's and women's health.
- women's health nurses, GPs and Aboriginal health education officers
- assistance with where and when to access primary health care for cancer related services
- an East Sydney Medicare Local (ESML) community news letter
- a community run fruit and vegetable provision program
- a community walking group to promote physical activity.
The program works in partnership tackling breast cancer with BreastScreen NSW.
Abstract adapted from Cancer Institute NSW.
Cancer Institute NSW
PO Box 41
Alexandria NSW 1435
Ph: (02) 8374 5600
Fax: (02) 8374 3600
Merrison L (2011)
Persistence pays off - healthy lives more than just a dream to La Perouse!.
Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal; 35(3): 18-20
Report broken link