The Wellbeing program is run by the Yothu Yindi Foundation in the Northern Territory. The aim of the project is to improve the health and wellbeing of Yolngu men and women through the development of community based strategies for tackling poor health outcomes, alcohol and other drug abuse, and the high rates of suicide in the Miwatj region.
These aims will be pursued through:
- coordinating regular cultural activities to divert Yolngu men and women from drug and alcohol use, volatile substance use and suicide
- facilitating workshops and information sessions on issues associated with alcohol and other drug use, volatile substance use and suicide prevention
- implementing mechanisms for increasing awareness of, and access to, traditional healing in Yolngu communities
- facilitating intergenerational transfer of cultural knowledge
- strengthening linkages between local service providers and Yolngu men and women in the East Arnhem Region, including referrals and linkages with other programs
- developing pathways to training and employment for Yolngu men and women.
Yothu Yindi Foundation abstract
Yothu Yindi Foundation
3rd Floor, 43 Cavenagh Street
Darwin NT 0800
GPO Box 3234
Darwin NT 0801
Ph: (08) 8941 2900
Fax: (08) 8941 2861