- » Key resources and services
- » Programs and projects
- » Associations Between Periodontal Disease and Cardiovascular Surrogate Endpoints Among Indigenous Adults: the PerioCardio study
Associations Between Periodontal Disease and Cardiovascular Surrogate Endpoints Among Indigenous Adults: the PerioCardio study
The Associations Between Periodontal Disease and Cardiovascular Surrogate Endpoints Among Indigenous Adults study ('the PeriodCardio study') aimed to explore the prevalence of cardiovascular surrogate endpoints among Indigenous people with periodontal disease, and to determine if implementation of a periodontal intervention lead to improved cardiovascular risk outcomes. All study participants received the benefits of the periodontal intervention.
The PeriodCardio study was important in three main ways:
- it was the first study to examine the effectiveness of periodontal therapy in changing cardiovascular surrogate endpoint levels in an Indigenous population in Australia
- it was the first investigation to monitor changes in cardiovascular surrogate endpoints following periodontal intervention at both three and 12 months
- the findings could be used to develop a generalisable oral health policy/practice protocol for Indigenous community members with poor cardiovascular health.
Abstract adapted from the Indigenous Oral Health Unit
Indigenous Oral Health Unit
122 Frome Street
School of Dentistry
The University of Adelaide
Adelaide SA 5005
Ph: (08) 8313 4045
Ph: (08) 8313 3291
Fax: (08) 8313 4858
Kapellas K, Jamieson LM, Do LG, Bartold PM, Maple-Brown LJ, Sullivan D, O’Dea K, Brown A, Celermajer DS, Slade GD, Skilton MR (2014)
Associations between periodontal disease and cardiovascular surrogate measures among Indigenous Australians.
International Journal of Cardiology; 173(2): 190–196
Kapellas K, Maple-Brown LJ, Bartold PM, Brown A, O'Dea K, Slade GD, Celermajer DS, Jamieson LM, Skilton MR (2014)
Effect of a periodontal intervention on pulse wave velocity in Indigenous Australians with periodontal disease: the PerioCardio randomized controlled trial.
Global Heart; 9(1 Supplement): e44
Skilton MR, Maple-Brown LJ, Kapellas K, Celermajer DS, Bartold M, Brown A, O'Dea K, Slade GD, Jamieson LM (2011)
The effect of a periodontal intervention on cardiovascular risk markers in Indigenous Australians with periodontal disease: the PerioCardio study.
BMC Public Health; 11: 729
Retrieved 26 September 2011 from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/729
Report broken link