Aboriginal jobs together
This project, jointly funded by the NSW and Commonwealth Governments, aims to increase the number of Indigenous Australians working in the disability, human services and aged care sectors.
The project includes:
- industry placement for 75 Indigenous cadets and 80 Indigenous trainees in non-Government organisations (NGOs)
- support for NGOs to employ Indigenous people
- assistance for Indigenous people to meet the skills requirements of NGOs
- refinements to the NSW Government's procurement policy.
This joint venture is funded at:
- just over $4.8 million by the NSW Government (for cadetships, traineeships, changes to Government procurement policy and support to NGOs)
- up to $3 million by the Commonwealth Government (through its Indigenous Employment Program).
Within the disability and community care sectors, this project is administered by National Disability Services (NDS). The types of support that the NDS can provide to NGOs in the disability and community care sectors under the auspices of this project are:
- direct financial contributions
- dedicated case management of an Indigenous trainee/cadet including all of their pre-employment, training and vocational needs
- advice and assistance in relation to the recruitment and ongoing retention of Indigenous staff
- business supports/wage subsidies provided by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) (negotiated directly with DEEWR)
- cultural competency resources
- training and development resources
- organisational capacity building resources
- mentoring support
- advice and assistance regarding engagement with Indigenous clients and community
- advice and assistance regarding fundraising, marketing and promotion.
Expressions of interest to the NDS for this type of support closed on 22 July 2011.
For further information, see links below.
Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR)
50 Marcus Clarke Street
GPO Box 9880
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Ph: 1300 363 079
National Disability Services (NDS)
33 Thesiger Court
Locked Bag 3002
DEAKIN WEST ACT 2600
Ph: (02) 6283 3200
Fax: (02) 6281 3488