Breast Cancer Care WA
With the support of BHP Billiton, Breast Cancer Care WA provides free educational workshops that highlight the importance of breast awareness and early detection. Topics discussed include:
- what is breast cancer
- what to look for
- understanding what is normal for you
- what to do if you find an inconsistency
- what are the statistics
- what happens when you come to Perth for treatment or exploratory procedures.
Brochures and promotional material is also distributed along with information about what local services are available and how Breast Cancer Care WA and the Indigenous Program Co-ordinator can provide support.
Breast Cancer Care WA provides the following support services at no charge:
- airport and bus pickup and settling into accommodation
- connecting people with peers
- one to one emotional support from someone who has been through a similar situation
- transport to and from medical appointments
- support during medical procedures and appointments
- assistance with basic living needs following surgery and treatment
- liaising with and providing written support for PATS funding.
- contributing to the cost of breast prostheses, mastectomy bras and lymphedema sleeves and gloves
- providing funds to pay for particular medical and therapeutic treatments that are not covered by medical benefits and covering medical gaps
- assisting with travel costs; petrol, airfares, transfers, parking
- assisting with accommodation expenses
- assisting with general household bills, vehicle repairs, food and petrol vouchers.
- breast care nurses to explain medical procedures and treatment options over the phone and in person
- counsellors to provide support over the phone and in person to women and their families
- metro support groups, plus local support groups can be set up if required by the community, currently Geraldton and Broome have established groups
- peer support can be arranged with women who have had similar experiences.
Breast Cancer Care WA abstract
Indigenous Program Coordinator
Breast Cancer Care WA
1034 Wellington Street
West Perth WA 6005
PO Box 250
West Perth WA 6872
Ph: (08) 9324 3703
Fax: (08) 9485 2593