- » Key resources and services
- » Organisations
- » Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity
Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity
The Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity (MBI) is committed to meeting the challenge of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases, major causes of morbidity and mortality, socioeconomic disruption and economic instability.
The vision of MBI is to improve understanding of complex interactions that fuel the emergence and spread of infectious diseases, and as a result, combat and lessen their resulting health and socioeconomic impacts.
The MBI has four goals:
- creating and sustaining a vibrant research community
- to support and link researchers with an interest in emerging infectious diseases, biosecurity and a healthy planet
- to encourage enthusiastic and critical enquiry where existing boundaries are challenged and novel links explored
- to create a platform for cross-disciplinary collaboration and building of new partnerships
- doing and encouraging excellent research
- to assist the development of competitive research protocols and infrastructure projects that secure local and/or international funding
- to establish a record of research excellence and innovation, at multiple levels including: basic science discovery, clinical, epidemiological operational research, emphasizing the importance of the socio-cultural and environmental context
- increasing capacity through education and partnership
- to assist with the development of academic training programmes
- to share knowledge and support training to improve service delivery
- to assist national and international bodies with supervisory and capacity building activities, as well as the development of expert guidelines
- communication and advocacy
- to provide an independent, expert resource for government and relevant professional bodies
- to communicate effectively about infectious disease risks and advocate for actions that will reduce these risks.
MBI was formerly known as The Sydney Emerging Infections and Biosecurity (SEIB) Institute.
Abstract adapted from the University of Sydney
Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases (MBI)
The University of Sydney
ICPMR Bldg Rm 73188
Westmead NSW 2145
Ph: (02) 9845 9864 or (02) 9845 6029