- » Key resources and services
Mental health assessment of Aboriginal clients
Target audience: People who work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients in a mental health setting.
Course summary: This course provides participants with competency in four psychological tests developed specifically for Aboriginal people, including:
- Acculturation scale for Aboriginal Australians
- Acculturative stress scale for Aboriginal Australians
- Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - youth
- Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - adult.
The workshop content is comprehensive, covering a range of topics, such as:
- learning how to ensure cultural compatibility with Aboriginal clients and how cultural differences translate with counselling and engagement skills
- assessing the difference between cultural and mental illness, including trauma and how it manifests in Aboriginal people
- working with cultural grief and spiritual visits
- understanding culture bound depression - evidence-based treatments.
Fee payable: Yes
Delivery mode: On site. This course is scheduled annually in different locations around Australia. Please see the Indigenous Psychological Services website for an up-to-date schedule of courses.
Indigenous Psychological Services (IPS)
Ph: (08) 9362 2036
Fax: (08) 9362 5546
Report broken link