Mental health assessment of Aboriginal clients
The aim of this workshop is to improve the cultural competencies of those who work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients in a mental health setting. Workers undertaking this training will receive accreditation in four psychological tests developed specifically for Aboriginal people, including:
- Acculturation scale for Aboriginal Australians
- Acculturative stress scale for Aboriginal Australians
- Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - youth
- Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - adult.
The workshop content is comprehensive, covering a range of topics, such as:
- learning how to ensure cultural compatibility with Aboriginal clients and how cultural differences translate with counselling and engagement skills
- assessing the difference between cultural and mental illness, including trauma and how it manifests in Aboriginal people
- working with cultural grief and spiritual visits
- understanding culture bound depression - evidence-based treatments.
Indigenous Psychological Services (IPS)
Ph: (08) 9362 2036
Fax: (08) 9362 5546