- » Key resources and services
Mental health assessment of Aboriginal clients
The aim of this workshop is to improve the cultural competencies of those who work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients in a mental health setting. Workers undertaking this training will receive accreditation in four psychological tests developed specifically for Aboriginal people, including:
- Acculturation scale for Aboriginal Australians
- Acculturative stress scale for Aboriginal Australians
- Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - youth
- Westerman Aboriginal symptom checklist - adult.
The workshop content is comprehensive, covering a range of topics, such as:
- learning how to ensure cultural compatibility with Aboriginal clients and how cultural differences translate with counselling and engagement skills
- assessing the difference between cultural and mental illness, including trauma and how it manifests in Aboriginal people
- working with cultural grief and spiritual visits
- understanding culture bound depression - evidence-based treatments.
Indigenous Psychological Services (IPS)
Ph: (08) 9362 2036
Fax: (08) 9362 5546