- » Key resources and services
Mental health assessment of Aboriginal clients
This workshop is presented by Dr Tracy Westerman, a descendant of the Nyamal people. She holds a Post Graduate Diploma (Science) in Psychology, a Master's Degree (Clinical Psychology) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Clinical Psychology). As a recognised leader in the Aboriginal mental health field she has achieved both national and international recognition.
The workshop will cover the following:
- accreditation in four mental health screening tools developed specifically for Aboriginal peoples
- cultural translation of counselling and therapeutic interventions
- assessing the difference between cultural and mental illness including:
- impact of cultural identity in mental health assessment
- trauma and how it manifests in Aboriginal peoples
- addressing trauma from forcible removal and how to prevent intergenerational trauma
- understanding cultural grief and determining the normalcy of spiritual visits
- understanding self harm and cultural factors in assessment and treatment
- culture-bound depression.
Dates and location:
- Melbourne: 18-19 August 2014
- Townsville: 14-15 October 2014
- Perth: 18-19 November.
Indigenous Psychological Services
Ph: (08) 9362 2036
Fax: (08) 9362 5546