Justice health in Australia: equity in health care
The Public Health Association of Australia (PHAA) is holding a one day symposium. The sub-themes for the symposium plenary sessions are: equivalence of health care for prisoners; mental health and wellbeing of prisoners; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoner health; and health during the transition from prison to community.
Confirmed speakers and topics include:
- Dr Helen Watchirs OAM: ACT Human Rights and Discrimination Commissioner: human rights in prison
- Prof Tony Butler, Program Head, Justice Health Program, Kirby Institute, Sydney: Medicare and PBS access for prisoners
- Prof Michael Levy: Director, ACT Justice Health Service: equitable management of blood borne viruses in the Alexander Maconochie Centre
- Dr Ed Heffernan, Director, Queensland Forensic Mental Health Services, Brisbane: madness and musical chairs: the mentally ill in custody
- Dr Stephen Allnutt, Justice Health NSW, community forensic mental health team: managing forensic patients in the community
- Ingrid Johnston, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: the mental health of prison entrants
- Tammy Solonec, National Board Director, National Congress of Australias First Peoples: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoner health
- Ms Jocelyn Jones, Adjunct Research Fellow, National Drug Research Institute (NDRI): health-related experiences of female Indigenous prisoners
- Dr Tom Calma, National Coordinator, Tackling Indigenous Smoking, and consultant: justice reinvestment
- Julie Tongs OAM, CEO, Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service: Indigenous prisoner health and transition to community (post-release) challenges
- Bernadette Mitcherson, Executive Director of ACT Corrective Services: Post release care planning for prisoners in the ACT
- Dr Mark Stoove, Head, HIV/STI Research, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne: transitional issues for prisoners/ex-prisoners with a history of injecting drug use.
Early bird registration closes Friday 6 July 2012.
Sponsorship and exhibition packages:
Ph: (02) 6285 2373