Disability inclusive research collaboration conference (DIRCC)
The conference is being organised by a group which includes organisations of and for people with disability, and universities and their research centres. A series of workshops will be run across the two days where participants will hear how people with disability have been actively engaged in planning, doing research and disseminating findings. All workshops will be interactive and aimed at participants learning about specific research strategies that have proved to be inclusive.
Workshop presenters will:
- overview the projects that they have been involved with either as people with disability or as co-researchers with people with disability
- facilitate a series of activities where participants will learn how to make research more inclusive and accessible for and with people with disability.
- Professor Christine Bigby, is Leader of the Living with Disability Research Group, at La Trobe University. Christine has an established national and international reputation for her research on aging with a lifelong disability and the social inclusion of adults with intellectual disability. The focus of her work is policy issues, program effectiveness and the quality of front line practice to support engagement and inclusion
- Dr. Sally French is an Associate Lecturer at the Open University, UK where she teaches health, social care and social science courses. Her current research interests include the history of disability and the experiences of disabled people in health and social care. Much of her work in the area of Disability Studies has its roots in her earlier work as a care assistant and a physiotherapist and her experiences as a disabled person
- Dr. Edurne Garcia Iriarte is Director of the M.Sc. in Disability Studies at the School of Social Work and Social Policy, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. Edurne has worked at both the University of Illinois at Chicago and the National Institute for Intellectual Disability, Trinity College Dublin where she has supported people with disability to join research teams as co-researchers.
This conference will include an Indigenous focus:
- Damian Griffis, First Peoples Disability Network and John Gilroy, University of New South Wales will lead a workshop on conducting indigenous research and will be joined by other disability researchers from developing countries in South East Asia and the Pacific with a view to illustrating how research strategies need to align with cultural protocols and values.
Ph: (02) 9036 4789
Register to be an exhibitor:
Ph: (02) 9370 3100