Working with older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- » Key resources and services
- » Bibliography
- » Working with older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
by Wall S, Koori Growing Old Well Study Project Team
||Research to practice briefing 8
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract
This briefing presents evidence from research to guide mainstream community aged care organisations and practitioners on working in a respectful and culturally sensitive manner with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Topics covered by the briefing include:
- history and culture
- health and wellbeing of older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- demographics and life expectancy
- intergenerational disadvantage and other factors contributing to the gap in life expectancy
- dementia and Alzheimer's disease
- community care services for older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- access to community care services
- person-centred care
- end of life.
The briefing includes a discussion guide to prompt readers to reflect on how the material in the briefing could be applied in practice. The briefing was prepared by Sharon Wall and the Koori growing old well study project team at Neuroscience Research Australia, in partnership with The Benevolent Society.
No program(s) found.
No conference(s) found.
© 2001-2016 Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet