Australian Government Department of Health (2015)
Implementation plan for the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan 2013–2023.
Canberra: Australian Government Department of Health
This publication reports on the implementation plan for the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health plan 2013-2023. The implementation plan focuses on the Australian Government's role in ensuring the health system is flexible to respond to identified needs, is able to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to make healthy choices, and provides culturally safe access to quality early intervention and treatment services and integrated clinical services, and is free of racism.
It includes strategies such as:
- investing in increased capability of Aboriginal community controlled health organisations to be able to meet identified needs
- reducing racism and discrimination and improving the cultural safety of the mainstream health system, including primary health care
- identifying, mapping and responding to need, recognising that geographical factors can play an important role in assessing the need of individual communities, and ensuring good quality care is delivered
- ensuring evidence-based care is provided
- ensuring accountability and leadership for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples' health
- defining the core services that are required to flexibly respond to identified needs
- increasing workforce capability
- partnering with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their representative bodies in all levels of planning, service delivery and evaluation.
Abstract adapted from Australian Government Department of Health
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2015)
Implementation plan goals for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan 2013–23: technical companion document.
Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
Australian Department of Health and Ageing (2013)
National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan 2013-2023.
Canberra: Australian Department of Health and Ageing
This plan provides a long-term, evidence-based policy framework as part of the Council of Australian Governments' approach to Closing the gap in Indigenous disadvantage. The Australian Government worked in partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community groups, and peak bodies to produce the plan.
The plan builds on the United nations declaration on the rights of Indigenous peoples, with a focus on:
- policies and programs to improve Indigenous health
- social and emotional wellbeing
- promoting healthy behaviours
- the centrality of culture for health and wellbeing
- the right of people to be safe and empowered.
The plan at a glance includes:
- the vision
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract