2012 National Indigenous Music Award winners announced
The winners of the 2012 National Indigenous Music Awards (NIMAs) were announced on Saturday 11 August.
The NIMAs are Australia's most prominent Indigenous music awards event. The ceremony was held at the Gardens Amphitheater in Darwin, in the Northern Territory.
Queensland four-piece band The Medics were awarded top honours, taking out Album of the Year, New Talent of the Year and Song of the Year for 'Griffin'.
The full list of award-winners is below:
- New Talent of the Year - The Medics
- Song of the Year - ‘Griffin', The Medics
- Album of the Year - Foundations, The Medics
- Artist of the Year - Gurrumul Yunupingu
- Hall of Fame - Dr James Oswald Little, AO (aka Jimmy Little); Sunrize Band; Lajamanu Teenage Band
- NT Film Clip of the Year - ‘Ngarrpiya', East Journey
- G.R. Bururrawanga Memorial Award - East Journey
- NT Cover Art of the Year - ‘Bayini', Gurrumul Yunupingu and Sarah Blasko
- Traditional Music Award of the Year - Song Peoples Sessions; Shellie Morris and the Borroloola Songomen, ‘Ngambala Wiji Li-Wunungu'; Warren H Williams and the Warumungu Songmen, ‘Winanjjara'
- NT School Band of the Year - NEAL Boys, Yirrkala CEC
Source: National Indigenous Music Awards