Skip to content
Date posted: 1 August 2011
The new Care for kids' ears: strong hearing strong start website was launched in July by the Australian Government, to increase awareness of ear disease and hearing loss in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. The website provides information about ear disease, signs and symptoms and prevention. It features resource kits for teachers, teachers aides and early childhood workers to inform children about ear health. The kits aims to deliver positive and consistent ear health messages to young children (up to year two), and are available to order via the website.
The kit contains multiple resources including:
• a storybook and information booklet featuring the characters Kathy and Ernie
• a flipchart with suggested topics for discussions and interactive activities
• a teacher's factsheet to assist teachers of children with hearing loss
• a poster to promote ear health
• stickers to reward and recognise children
• colouring-in and dot-to dot sheets
• a set of memory cards to be used as a fun interactive activity.
You can download resource materials from the website home page. You can also order hard copies from the website by filling in the online order form