View another consultant:
Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Engagement)
Room 210, Building 4
Tel: (07) 3346 0627
Professor Cindy Shannon is a descendant of the Ngugi people from Moreton Bay, Queensland. In 2011 Cindy was appointed as Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Engagement) at The University of Queensland and is also currently the Director of the Poche Centre for Indigenous Health, which was established in late 2014.
Cindy was previously the Director of the Centre for Indigenous Health at The University of Queensland and guided the development and implementation of Australia’s first degree level program that specifically targeted Aboriginal health workers. Professor Shannon has contributed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health policy development and implementation nationally and undertaken a number of independent primary health care service reviews, including a major report for the 2003 interdepartmental review of primary health care service delivery to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Cindy was a member of the National Health and Medical Research Council, and chaired its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Advisory Committee from 2005-2012. She is currently also:
- Ministerial Advisory Committee on Blood Borne Virus and Sexual Health (MACBBVSH)
- Hepatitis Australia, Board Chair
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) Collections Advisory Committee
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) Council Member (Ministerial Appointment)
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) Research Advisory Committee
- Lives Lived Well (LLW), Board Member
- Chair, Lowitja Institute Workforce Research Program Committee
- Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) Awards Committee
- National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education Advisory Committee
- CSIRO Indigenous Engagement Strategic Advisory Committee
- Public Health Association of Australia (PHAA) Editorial Board
- Brisbane South Primary Health Network (BSPHN), formerly Greater Metro South Brisbane Medicare Local GMSBML, Board Member
- Indigenous HealthInfoNet Advisory Board
- Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foundation (QATSIF) Board Chair (Ministerial appointment).